Date night can get expensive especially if going out for dinner and to a movie. If you’re strapped for cash but still want to impress, here are a few date night alternatives for some of our favourite date night activities.
Instead of going out to eat…
- Make a meal together. Take a look in your fridge and pantry, pick a recipe, then head to the grocery store to pick up any remaining ingredients you'll need. Not only will you get quality time together in the kitchen, but also something yummy to enjoy!
- Double Date Bonus: Invite another couple over and have a cooking competition. Pick a recipe and set a time limit to complete. Your friends can be the judge.
Instead of going to the movies…
- Have a movie night in. Pick a movie from your collection, Netflix or borrow one from your local library. Get cozy on the couch or build a fort (because who doesn’t love a fort) to enjoy the movie from. Don’t forget your favourite snack!
- Double Date Bonus: Invite another couple over for a double feature. Pick a movie and tell them to bring their favourite as well. You may have to do rock-paper-scissors to see which movie you’ll watch first.
Instead of going for drinks…
- Consider visiting a local coffee shop or make coffee at home. Not a big coffee drinker, what about some hot chocolate? Add some fun by playing a couple of games such as Go Fish or Connect Four.
- Double Date Bonus: Board game night can be a lot of fun, especially with another couple. Ask your guests to bring their favourite board game and put a pot of coffee on! Create memories and laughter especially with games such as Pictionary or Speak Out.
Instead of going skiing or snowboarding…
- Head to your local hill and do some old-fashioned tobogganing. Don’t have a toboggan? Get creative and make your own using things such as cardboard, cookie sheets, tarps, garbage bags, etc.
- Double Date Bonus: Have a few couples meet you at the hill and have a competition. Create your own Olympics – who can make it down the hill and back up the fastest? Best trick move? Don’t forget to pack a thermos of hot chocolate to stay warm.
Instead of winter walks…
- Strap on a pair of skates and go skating at your local rink. Some cities even offer free skate rentals.
- Double Date Bonus: Invite a few couples to join you and start up a fun hockey game. Be sure to bring a few sticks and a puck to get the game started.
Date night doesn’t need to be expensive. Sometimes it’s as easy as bringing the activity home and putting your personal spin on it. Do you have any other date night alternative ideas that can help you save money? We’d love to hear them. Tell us by sharing on social media using the hashtag #MONEYTALK .